Thursday, September 30, 2010

Awakened by Ednah Walters

Most teens turn sixteen and get the license to drive, Lil Falcon gets the license to kill demons, but no one told her she is not supposed to fall in love with one.
Orphaned as a child and raised by an eccentric grandfather, Lil is concerned with surviving high school and is unaware she's a Guardian—a being with super powers charged with killing demons and protecting humanity. But when she meets Bran, a mysterious boy with amazing abilities, his psi energy unlocks her latent powers.

But Bran has a secret that can destroy their growing relationship. He's part demon. But in her heart, Lil knows Bran is not evil. So when her grandfather is kidnapped by a powerful nature-bender and Bran is the only one who knows where he's being kept, Lil convinces the other Guardians to trust him, not knowing her grandfather is just the bait. And the truth that she discovers in the demonic enclave may just destroy everything she believes in, unless she makes the right choice—love and sacrifice.


From Goodreads.com

 
          I don’t even know where to begin. Well, I guess I can begin by saying that I won this book from Ednah herself (and a bit of swag). I love discovering new authors, so when I received the book in the mail, I couldn’t wait to read it. I was also privileged enough to receive an ARC; even better.
            Obviously, I had no idea what to expect. I just finished Crescendo, so I was in my paranormal zone. I started reading, and couldn’t put it down! It was not a wise choice to start this book late at night. Sleep is a bit important.
            Right away you are pulled in to the life and mind of Lil. A teenager, who is still trying to figure out who she is, comes into her powers with a twist. New home, new school, new friends, supernatural powers? What? That’s exactly what Lil is feeling, and Ednah portrays that so well. Lil is a character that every teenage girl, or those who’ve been through their teenage years, can relate to. She’s discovering herself for the first time; who she is, what her purpose in life is. I’m sure guys can relate to that as well, and if not, there’s enough “manly” action to keep their attention. Fast moving, with just enough background to keep you guessing till the last chapter, this story comes right off the pages.
            The characters are exciting and refreshing. I loved the idea of a strong female lead, with just enough problems to make it personal. But even before you dive into the story, you meet Bran. *Swoons* Yes, Bran. Tall, mysterious, and gorgeous. Come on ladies, you know the type. The one that flutters your heart whenever he’s in sight. I wont reveal any details, but I need to mention the fact that he’s a darling. *Wink wink*
            Actually, I enjoyed every character in this book (that doesn’t happen very often). Serious kuddos to Ednah for taking this story to a very interesting level, with very interesting people. She does not over do it with descriptions, but lets the simple words and actions speak for themselves, which I find refreshing :)
            I recommend this book to anyone! Whether or not you enjoy YA fiction, you can find something in this book that makes it worth reading. It is now available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. I would love to hear what you think, and so would Ednah! Happy reading!

3 comments:

  1. I just got caught by the cover and had to read your review! I really like the Guardian and demon theme and as you describe Lil and Bran they appear to be characters I would love to give a home in my literary heart. If this book is as good as you describe it, we'll definitely hear some about Ednah Walters in future. Can you provide a link to her homepage or some profile?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I'm glad you enjoyed the review! Ednah is sweetie, and her writing is great! Here are some of her websites http://www.ednahwalters.com
    http://ednahwalters.blogspot.com
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know if she will be writing a sequel? The story just seems like there is more left to be said. Although most sequels have a romantic/love triangle aspect to it, and Bran and Lil seem too solid for that type of a thing. Unless they have a baby! That would liven things up! A half demon, 5/8 human, 3/8 guardian baby. Lol. :)

    ReplyDelete