Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Real Life Boyfriends: Yes. Boyfriends, plural. If my life weren't complicated, I wouldn't be Ruby Oliver





Ruby Oliver, the neurotic, hyperverbal heroine of the The Boyfriend List,The Boy Book, and The Treasure Map of Boys, is back!
 
Ruby Oliver is in love. Or it would be love, if Noel, her real live boyfriend, would call her back. But Noel seems to have turned into a pod-robot lobotomy patient, and Ruby can’t figure out why.

Not only is her romantic life a shambles:
Her dad is eating nothing but Cheetos,
Her mother’s got a piglet head in the refrigerator,
Hutch has gone to Paris to play baguette air guitar,
Gideon shows up shirtless,
And the pygmy goat Robespierre is no help whatsoever.
 
Will Ruby ever control her panic attacks?
Will she ever understand boys?
Will she ever stop making lists?
(No to that last one.)
 
Roo has lost most of her friends. She’s lost her true love, more than once. She’s lost her grandmother, her job, her reputation, and possibly her mind. But she’s never lost her sense of humor. The Ruby Oliver books are the record of her survival.

From Goodreads.com




      I think its about time I posted this particular review. I know that this book is not out till December, but honestly, I could not wait. 
Ruby Oliver. What can I say about Ruby? Funny, crazy, brilliant, entertaining. I can go on and on. E. Lockhart has developed a character that touches hearts everywhere. Tell me, how many of you have never experienced crazy parents? Or had a misunderstanding with your boyfriend? Or been distracted by a hunky guy next door? 
Honestly, I could not put this book down. Without spoiling any plot lines for anybody, I just have to say that there is something special about the relationships between the characters in this book.  But what I love most about that, is the fact that these characters are real. I have met each and every single one of them at one time or another. 
Ruby is amazing! She keeps you hooked in her life, making you laugh and cry all at the same time. The guys in her life are gorgeous, sweet and oh so frustrating. Her parents have problems just like anybody else, while driving her up the wall. And of course, there are friends and enemies and lists. 
Truth be told, I love Ruby’s lists. There is just something about reading them that makes the whole story that much entertaining. I, myself, am a list maker, but Ruby takes it to a whole different level.
  1. E. Lockhart has truly outdone herself. This story is lively and entertaining with just enough twists and turns to keep you guessing. She writes Ruby’s story as if Ruby is a real person living next door to her. I can honestly say I felt privileged reading this book, especially this far in advance. I’ve tried very hard not to give away any plot lines, but to tell you how great this book truly is. Come December 28th anyone who can relate to drama, love, and parents should go out and buy this book! 

Happy reading!
Valia

PS Thoughts???

No comments:

Post a Comment